I never knew trying to have a baby would be so much like a science experiment. My doc observing and making inferences, hypothesizing about my possible defective ovaries, poking and probing me in all of her experimental rounds, analyzing the blood tests and ultrasounds and then delivering the results. Repeat. (Side note… who knew I’d actually retain that much information about the scientific method? Congrats to all my middle and high school science teachers!) Each time my doc delivers her disappointing and inconclusive results we go back to the drawing board and I get off the phone call with mixed emotions. I’m glad the thing they were testing for wasn’t wrong/bad/high/low/red/blue/drunk/whatever, but I’m still upset because we don’t have any answers. Then we’re onto the next round of tests. It’s such a draining process and I’m still in the early stages. Shout out to all the women out there who have endured years of this! I don’t know how you’ve managed to keep any ounce of sanity and I applaud and cheers to you. CLINKY! Because I’m seriously on the verge of losing it.


Let’s back track a couple of weeks. When I last left you I was binging on all things Little Debbie (that woman is a Saint), sitting with my heating pad and of course crying. Since then I’ve had a few more rounds of testing done and here’s how all of that has gone. More blood work to re-test my FSH levels and a few other things. To be honest I don’t even know what else they were testing. I stopped listening to the nurse and just told her I would get the blood work and they could call me with the results. At this point I don’t really care what they are doing I just want to know the end result.

So I went back to the lab to spend some quality time with my “blood work guy.” We got to catch up on all things Grey’s Anatomy a week ago because he just kept filling those damn vials. My guy knows the drill and how much I HATE blood work. He knows that I don’t need him telling me, “You’re going to feel a tiny pinch.” So every time it’s the same. I go in, sit in the chair, turn my head in the other direction and he goes to work. This round was no different in the beginning until it was taking longer than normal. I asked if there was a problem and he replied with, “Well yes, I don’t know how Shonda Rhimes thought Grey’s could go on without McDreamy. But no, the blood work is fine. They just asked for more this time for a few other tests. Now, what do you think about Jackson and April?” He knows me so well already. Distraction is really the only way to keep me from crying. After the vials were full I went on my way and waited for the call with the results.

Three days later I got the call that, “All you’re blood work looked great, but your FSH levels had no change. The Doc would like you to come in for a vaginal ultrasound and then we’ll schedule the HSG test after that. See you next week!” That b**** was so perky! I know that they are supposed to be happy and positive, but can’t she just give it to me straight? “Hey Sam, you’re FSH levels still suck, but all the other crap we tested looks fine. We still don’t have any answers for you. We’ll see you in a week for some probing that will most likely turn up fine also and then we’ll put you through some more uncomfortable vaginal exams. So go home and have a bottle of wine. You’ve earned it, Gal!” Now THAT is the kind of phone call I need, but I don’t think that’s protocol. So we ended the call by setting up my first ultrasound for Friday.

Fast forward another week to Friday the 16th. I went in for the ultrasound. I had mixed emotions from the beginning. I was excited to be on to the next phase of testing, but I always thought the first ultrasound I would have would be to see my baby for the first time. So I had a little bit of a pity party in the parking garage, pulled myself together, and walked in ready drop my pants and see my insides on that blurry little screen for the first time. I tried to get the ultrasound tech to crack and give me some details. I even tried to break the ice with an inappropriate comment about probing (she didn’t laugh). I asked what she was seeing and if it looked normal. She didn’t budge. She said she couldn’t give me that information but that the doctor would have the images today and would call me in a day or so. So after the long weekend of waiting I got the dreaded phone call today. “Hi Sam, we have your results and everything looked fine on your ultrasound. So we’ll need to schedule the HSG test five days after you have your next period. Call us back on the day you start and we’ll get that scheduled. Have a nice day.” I’m sorry, did you just say I have to wait until my next period? Great! So not only did I hang up the phone mad about the fact that I would have to wait at least another three weeks before I could even have the next test done, I was also mad that once again they found NOTHING! I know I should be happy about the positive ultrasound test, but at the same time it’s just another door closed and still no answers. It’s great that we are ruling things out, but I mean can’t a girl catch a break? I’m just waiting for the day when they call and say, “This is what’s wrong with you. This is how we fix it. This is when you’ll have a baby.” I know it doesn’t really work that way, but a girl can dream.

So here we are again. On to the next experiment and waiting not so patiently with my Pinot in hand. I feel like I’ve been such a Debbie downer lately and I apologize. I’m trying to stay positive and I know with each test we are one step closer. And I know that no matter how long it takes, or how many uncomfortable probing sessions I have to sit through, or how many vials of blood I have to let them fill, the end result will be the same. One day I will hold a beautiful little baby in my arms. One day we WILL welcome that baby into our family. Whether it’s through natural conception, IVF, sorcery (sorry I watched the Harry Potter marathon all weekend) or adoption, our family will grow by two feet eventually. That screaming, crying, pooping little bundle of joy will be so loved and they will know that every long and painful step of this process was all worth it.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s